Friday, March 1, 2013

Out with the Old, in with the New


There will be only a brief comment from me today. The reason? A new notebook computer and all of the drama associated with that. I usually write my blog one day and post it the next morning. Yesterday afternoon, however, I decided to take a break and go computer shopping. My old laptop has been showing signs of age for some time, and it was time to act. Add to that that my eyes were about to fall out – I had been reading for so long.

So the first issue confronting me was my old nemesis choice. Actually, that wasn’t so bad this time. I had a pretty fair idea of what I needed and what I didn’t. I haven’t purchased a computer for about four years, and one of the really nice things is how much prices have fallen during that time. If I look back over the years, each laptop that I have purchased (and I am on to my fourth now) has been something like half the price of the previous one, even though several years have passed between each purchase. So far, so good. Choice made; purchase completed.

But then, arriving home, there is the inevitable hassle of transferring files from the old to the new, and installing software on the new, setting up email accounts (what seem to be identical settings on one computer don’t work on the other – or maybe that wasn’t the password for that account?). Through the rest of the afternoon and on into the evening with this. I am still realising that I don’t have this or that piece of software downloaded yet.

The biggest change, though, is from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I guess I understand the reason for the changes: everything is moving towards touchscreen technology and a common platform for all devices. At least, I assume that’s what it’s about. But you really do have to wonder why some changes are made. Why, for instance, has the “recent documents” feature disappeared? I used this constantly. Yes, sure, it’s still accessible if you know how (do a Google search if you have any problems), but it should be there, right in front of me. Apparently I am not supposed to turn the computer off any more either: there is no “shut down” option, at least not in any obvious place.

Oh well. I suppose I will get used to the changes. It may even be that I will come to wonder how I ever managed with that old war horse, Windows 7. For a while though, I will probably be distracted as I continue to discover that what I once did with one click now requires that I balance on my head and spin widdershins ten times.

No comments:

Post a Comment